Top 10 Cross-Platform App Dev Tools: 2018-19 Reviews, Pros, and Cons
The main reason why cross-platform application development tools have gained so much attention in 2018-19 is mere that, they save a lot of time by building apps for main platforms like Android and iOS.
Frameworks such as Ionic, React and Flutter continues to gain popularity also in 2019.
This article provides a complete overview of the top 10 cross-platform application development tools from 2018-19.
1. It incorporates Angular which is familiar among the web developers and eases the whole transitionary process from the web to mobile development.
2. It also supports hybrid desktop and web applications that run in Chrome.
1. The development builds are limited in Ionic’s free Kickstarter plan as the developers have to upgrade their subscription to issue applications.
1. It increases the efficiency and productivity of the applications by providing an open source library.
2. The hot reloading allows the developers to run the application while implementing changes.
1. It involves comprehensive guidelines related to the native components which require a lot of effort and exertion.
Flutter instantly gained attention after its release in 2018 by Google. It is designed to build mobile applications like Android, iOS and Google Fuchsia. It is based on Dart programming language. It also comes with a hot reload option like React Native which enables the developers to review the changes in the app right away and to fix any issues.
1. It offers thousands of widgets and extensive features
2. Dart language speeds up the process and could help in developing the same applications like Google, Gmail etc.
1. It includes a limited library with limited TV support.
2. Most developers aren’t familiar with the Dart language.
It is owned by Microsoft and used by more than thousands of companies. It is one of the best tools that contain native and cross-platform libraries. It saves the overall time of development and provides user-friendly features.
1. Xamarin creates applications by using a single language C#.
2. It provides a complete UI toolkit to build interactive interfaces.
3. It applies the changes made directly to the apps without the need to update the source code.
1. Xamarin doesn’t support third-party libraries for Android and iOS without any specific wrapper.
2. Comparatively has a larger application size.
This tool supports high graphics and 3D games developed on various platforms. It works easily on Web, Linux, play station, Xbox platforms including iOS, Android and Windows. It is the best tool to develop gaming applications easily.
1. It offers good quality as compared to other apps.
2. It is easy to use and highly affordable.
1. The engine is not suitable to build AAA games as it will crash if it runs out of memory.
2. Compute or Geometry Shader isn’t available for OSX or Linux.
1. It simplifies the process by enabling a GUI build system.
2. It has the support of Adobe and many developers.
1. It has some issues regarding specific applications and their performance.
1. It provides access to the latest updates and enhancements to the developers from Apache’s team.
1. Cordova leaves all the designing decisions to its developer which might be an issue for the beginners.
It supports all major platforms including Android, iOS, Windows. It is specially designed for 2D games and educational application. It has a limited free edition.
1. It is supported by a large community of developers and players.
2. It is quite easy to use
3. It has built-in commands to easily develop transitionary scenes.
1. Putting up the main guts of code is a priority otherwise it user might all the details.
2. The free version has limited builds.
1. It accelerates the overall application development in a flexible way,
2. The application has a great impact on the users for simplifying the development process.
3. Appcelerator is supported by a community of 200,000+ developers
1. The tool kit is unstable as the project restarts once any changes are made.
2. The users experience strange bugs and limitations.
It is the tool for developing business apps from a single codebase. It also provides testing tools embedded in Kony. It is used in organizations mostly as it caters to certain business needs.
1. It offers useful tools as they decrease the costs and increase the speed
2. The Visualizer helps to create quick and easy apps.
1. Needs maturity in terms of service integration
2. The provided analytical tools are not very useful for business decisions
These top 10 cross-application platforms are slowly increasing the users’ attention in 2019 with better frameworks and enhanced features. However, the pros and cons equally exist in providing in terms of performance and structure.